Skip to main content

Taking Care of Our Bodies

The act of taking care of our bodies is something that has been mentioned in the Bible many times.  It is something very important, and something that we need to do a lot of in our daily life.

It has been said multiple times that our bodies are a temple.  Therefore, we need to take the time to exercise and build muscle so that our bodies are strong and equipped. I am a college swimmer so I am constantly working out.  During the school year, whether it be lifting, racing in the pool, or running, I am always working to get my body built into shape for competition.  

This past semester, the swim team wasn't much of a thing due to COVID, so I was forced to take working out into my own hands since the team didn't have practice.  So, my lifting buddy and I decided to go and lift weights every single day.  Monday through Friday, we would meet at the gym in the late afternoon to get a "quick grind" in before dinner.  We rotated through leg day, arms day, core day, cardio day, and back day.  Some days were harder than the others, but we had fun doing it as well.  Me and my lifting buddy grew closer after working out every day as well.  And, we saw real results in ourselves, too.  

Working out and exercises increases self confidence, self love, energy, and promotes better sleep. Working out is something that should be done regularly (at least once a day) and is a healthy way to burn off some steam.  It helps with depression, anxiety and stress also.  I have noticed from the past years how beneficial it had been for me both physically and mentally. 

According to Arlene Semeco, Registered dietitian and Nurse, "Exercise can increase the production of endorphins, which are known to help produce positive feelings and reduce the perception of pain".

Therefore, it is obvious that physical exercise is a necessity for living a healthy lifestyle.  But, it leaves us to the question of how much exercise is too much?

Working out CANNOT be your main focus throughout the day.  It is a "side" activity- something that you do to maintain a healthy body and get on with your day.  If you are finding yourself working out more than you are spending time with Jesus, you are doing it wrong. If you are working out more than you are working for your financial goal or a different hobby, you are doing it wrong.  For example, I love reading and writing.  If I am only reading a book I love for thirty minutes a day, yet working out for an hour and a half, I am doing it wrong.  If I spend fifteen minutes in prayer with God and reading my Bible, but yet working out for two hours, I DO NOT have my priorities straight.  

Working out CANNOT be your God.  There is a point where working out can be toxic and, actually, a detriment to your health.  Too much of a certain thing can always be bad.  It is important to know that the bodies that we have on this Earth right now are temporary.  As we age, our earthly bodies will become weaker.  As Christians, we should not spend large amounts of our life building out temporary earthly body, but building our spiritual body in Christ.  Our spiritual body in Christ will last for eternity, not our temporary physical body now. It is also said in the 

Some important Bible verses that I have been studying regarding this topic are as follows:

1 Timothy 4:8 "For while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life, and also for the life to come."

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God?  You are not your own, for you were bought with a price.  So, glorify God in your body."


And one more verse, even though it doesn't have much to do with this topic, I felt compelled to share it. I think it is important!

2 Timothy 3:1-5 "But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people."


To wrap it up, physical exercise is incredibly important for our bodies, our minds, and our spirituality.  But, it shouldn't take over your whole world, or even close to it.  You should never find yourself spending more time working out than you are spending time with the creator of the Universe. 

-TJO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Log off, and Love Life Again

 I've taken a break off of social media and this blog for about a week.  This week has been brutal in America.  Riots, protests, fights, arguments, and hate being thrown around left and right on social media.  In general, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, and even TikTok are very toxic places to be spending our time.  People are cussing each other out, fuming with anger- social media is a war zone.  And it is that way because nobody can listen to each other.  Our generation is so accustomed to not listening to each others' opinion and why they think that way.  Everybody just wants to shove their opinions down each others' throats and if somebody else doesn't agree with them, they immediately attack them.  On both sides of the "political parties".  It is absolute madness.    Words are thrown around like "racist", "white privilege", "snowflake".  And what do these words mean? Well you won't be finding out on this blog post.  My goa

Not About the Money

After a couple weeks of a break, I am here.  There was a lot of stuff that was happening in my life that I wanted to take care of before I sat back and started writing on this blog again.  But, after a small break, I wanted to share some things that I've experienced recently that really hit me. The last time I wrote on the blog was during a period of division in this country and a lot of malevolent behavior.  Arguments, fights, name-calling, and disruption reaped this nation, and I was appalled. I was upset with the way people were acting and I spoke up about it on this blog.   I hate bringing up politics.  This is because I have stepped away from politics due to the toxicity that boils from it. Too much hate, corruption, and unfairness across the board.  It's important to have your own unique opinions, but as for me, I have been a much happier human being ever since I stopped paying attention to politics.  On a side note, last week there was a big health scare in my family whi

I Thank God

 I was just sitting in my dorm room, thinking, going through pictures, and reminiscing on some memories. This past week, just like every other week in a college student's life, is crazy.  But, the weekends are for taking a deep breath and taking a nice break.  Lately, I have been the happiest human alive, keeping God in my mind, and spreading my love to others.  I haven't been living in the future, I've been taking one day at a time, and I have been holding on to the little moments in life that make me smile.  I never thought that living in the present could make me feel so happy, free, and positive.  I don't think I stress this enough, but I thank God for my relationships every single day.  Ever since COVID hit, it taught me some life lessons that I might never have learned if it weren't for this pandemic.  I have begun to savor the small things (and the big things) in life.  Every night before I go to bed, I go down a list thanking God for the people in my life.