Skip to main content

The Uncertainty of the Future

It has almost been a week since my last post!  I convinced myself that I was going to post every single day since I made the blog, but then life hit, and here I am a week since I wrote last.  But I have so much to catch up on!

Within the last week, I have been back and forth to Pittsburgh, DC, Annapolis, Long Island, and New York City.  I pretty much never want to have to see a truck again in my life (driving alongside cars is fine with me- but it is the trucks that drive aggressively that I can't stand.). And, in the past week of driving around the East Coast of the United States, I did it all with my travel sidekick (a.k.a. my girlfriend) and we shared many laughs, stories, and rants through it all. 

One morning, my Aunt was driving my girlfriend and I in the car to the nearby Long Island Railroad train station to go to NYC. My aunt looks at me, at my girlfriend, and then at me again and says "Tyler, you really did find your partner, didn't you? She has a wanderlust spirit just like you!"  And it is true, I really did find my life-long travel companion. We never get tired of each other, either!

But after seeing so many cities and towns in the short period of a week, I had my "travel" fix and now I am excited to stay close to home, away from Covid's hands, and spend time with family, decorate, and do things that I like to do. 

On my way home from my girlfriend's house today, I got a phone call from an employer about a possible internship opportunity and I was OVER THE MOON about it.  They offered me an "in person interview" that I could come into one of the branches and meet the team.  This really spiked my excitement and my mood!

But then, as I got home and opened my laptop, I went down a rabbit hole and now I have a headache.  I am worried that I am not going down the correct path for a writing career.  I am worried that I might get a job that has nothing to do with writing and cater to my creative side.  Then, I start looking at what others think I should be doing- and then I am left with my laptop closed and me staring at my ceiling in a trance of unknowingness.  Did I major in the wrong thing?  Will I be wasting my passion and my gift of writing and creativity if I choose to pursue an internship in a different career path?

I am tired of my mind being one big mush ball.  I am tired of being so unsure about my future.  I am tired of trying to plan my entire future in the first place.  (One of my favorite quotes is from a country song that says "You make plans and then you hear God laughing".)

So here I am, writing this post on my blog after a week or traveling and trying to get my mind off things.  But for the time being with me at home, I am going to try my best to live in the present.  Do what I love to do, whether it be reading or writing or Spanish, and wait for the doors to open themselves by God. 

Here's to the future of unknowingness and worry.  Here's to knowing where our passions lie but having zero clue where to start to build our dreams.  We all got this together. 

-TJO  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Log off, and Love Life Again

 I've taken a break off of social media and this blog for about a week.  This week has been brutal in America.  Riots, protests, fights, arguments, and hate being thrown around left and right on social media.  In general, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, and even TikTok are very toxic places to be spending our time.  People are cussing each other out, fuming with anger- social media is a war zone.  And it is that way because nobody can listen to each other.  Our generation is so accustomed to not listening to each others' opinion and why they think that way.  Everybody just wants to shove their opinions down each others' throats and if somebody else doesn't agree with them, they immediately attack them.  On both sides of the "political parties".  It is absolute madness.    Words are thrown around like "racist", "white privilege", "snowflake".  And what do these words mean? Well you won't be finding out on this blog post.  My goa

Not About the Money

After a couple weeks of a break, I am here.  There was a lot of stuff that was happening in my life that I wanted to take care of before I sat back and started writing on this blog again.  But, after a small break, I wanted to share some things that I've experienced recently that really hit me. The last time I wrote on the blog was during a period of division in this country and a lot of malevolent behavior.  Arguments, fights, name-calling, and disruption reaped this nation, and I was appalled. I was upset with the way people were acting and I spoke up about it on this blog.   I hate bringing up politics.  This is because I have stepped away from politics due to the toxicity that boils from it. Too much hate, corruption, and unfairness across the board.  It's important to have your own unique opinions, but as for me, I have been a much happier human being ever since I stopped paying attention to politics.  On a side note, last week there was a big health scare in my family whi

I Thank God

 I was just sitting in my dorm room, thinking, going through pictures, and reminiscing on some memories. This past week, just like every other week in a college student's life, is crazy.  But, the weekends are for taking a deep breath and taking a nice break.  Lately, I have been the happiest human alive, keeping God in my mind, and spreading my love to others.  I haven't been living in the future, I've been taking one day at a time, and I have been holding on to the little moments in life that make me smile.  I never thought that living in the present could make me feel so happy, free, and positive.  I don't think I stress this enough, but I thank God for my relationships every single day.  Ever since COVID hit, it taught me some life lessons that I might never have learned if it weren't for this pandemic.  I have begun to savor the small things (and the big things) in life.  Every night before I go to bed, I go down a list thanking God for the people in my life.